Up to the early 20th century this area was a sparsely inhabited place located far from the city. It was crossed by the road paved in the 14th century and leading from Moscow to Tver and further to Veliky Novgorod. It was this road intersecting the vacant lands, fields, forests and meadows that predetermined contemporary route – Leningradsky prospekt – main traffic artery of primary importance.
In 1775-1783 northerly of Grand St. Petersburg road on the redeemed palace land Petrovsky Putevoy Palace was built after the project of the architect M. Kazakov. The Palace replaced former putevoy palace located in Vsesvyatskoe village erected early in the 18th century. This Palace was the final stop-over before solemn entrance of Royal family during their visit to Moscow.
Upon completion of Petrovsky Putevoy Palace adjacent area also suffered dramatic changes: there was a park laid behind the Palace with trident -shaped system of park alleys. The Palace itself was surrounded by a copse where “dachas” and country estates of the elite were located.
In 1827 the architect A.A.Menelaws developed a replan of Petrovsky park that included new areas southeastward of the architectural ensemble consisting of palaces and gardens.
After implementation of the project in 1830s the park happened to become favourite leisure countryside residence for local citizens.
In the beginning of the 20th century Petrovsky park which was deemed as metropolitan suburb was surrounded by about 500 dachas and several restaurants well-known among city dwellers along with the straw-hat theatre and studio.
By the early 20th century once great Petrovsky park gradually fell into decay. In 1920 Petrovsky Putevoy Palace was handed over to The Air Force Engineering Academy named after N.E. Zhukovsky which resided here till 1997 when series of palaces and gardens was passed under the jurisdiction of Moscow authorities.
In 1928 in the south-eastern part of the park behind Teatralnaya alley first stage of Dynamo stadium was raised. According to the initial project designed by A. Langman, L. Cherikover and D.Iofan the stadium looked like a giant horseshoe with the back side facing the east. Sizable stadium visually separated south-eastern part of Petrovsky park from the series of palaces and gardens. From now on the above-mentioned area started its independent development.
In 1938 Dynamo subway station was opened in Leningradsky prospekt close to the Western stand of the stadium. Porcelain bas-reliefs modeled after patterns made by E. Yanson-Manizer were used in architectural finishing. Main theme of the bas-reliefs is sports.
In 1934 L. Cherikover developed the project of stadium reconstruction and Petrovsky park replanning.This gave birth to Dynamo Sports park with renewed park alleys and paths filled with sculptures and garden fixtures peculiar to the soviet times when we turned to classical heritage. That was a period of prosperity for Dynamo stadium. The sports-park ensemble was well thought over and replete with sports and health facilities. In the park there reigned healthy spirit that predestined all future glorious victories and athletic feats under the token of Dynamo sports society.
Dynamo stadium reconstruction and adjacent area renovation related to Olympic Games of 1980 led to significant reduction of woodland in the park.
In recent years in Petrovsky park houses were erected thus replacing those of low cultural value of soviet housing development.